Custom House: "South Loop-contemporary American" Top 5 Page for this destination Custom House - Closed Tip by Dabs

Custom House - Closed, Chicago: 1 reviews and 0 photos

When, oh when, will I learn the a restaurant serving comtemporary American food is not for me? Because the dictionary definition of "contemporary American" seems to be a small portion of odd food combinations artfully presented with high prices. But I bought a Groupon for it anyways, $30 for the $60 tasting menu, because every so often I forget.

We visited on a Sunday night at 6:30pm, there were some tables filled but not a lot. Our waiter was very friendly and explained each course to us, timing between courses was good. The interior is modern and comfortable.

Favorite Dish: The tasting menu is four courses selected by the chef. Most of the food tasted good but they should have brought it out on smaller plates because the portions were laughably small. We started off with an amuse bouche, followed by a cold cucumber soup with shrimp. The fish portion was a seabass over squash and a puree of some vegetable, the meat portion was three small pieces of a NY strip steak over sweet corn puree with oyster mushrooms. Dessert was a plum tart with hazelnut ice cream. I'm not a big fan of cold soup and am not overly wild about plums but those dishes were still OK, the fish was prepared very nicely and the steak was very good but I actually went home still a little hungry.

Cocktails are a pricey $12 each, I had the Custom House, a vodka based drink with a very heavy ginger taste. One cocktail was enough for a night when I had to get up and go to work the next day.

Had we paid full price for four tasting menus plus 6 cocktails in total, the bill would have been $311 or $78 per person before tax and tip, with the Groupon it was $48 per person which was a bit more on the mark.

Address: 500 S. Dearborn
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: South loop, on the corner of Congress Parkway and Dearborn in the Hotel Blake
Phone: (312) 523-0200
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.customhouse.cc/

• Written Aug 22, 2010

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?