"Deutsches Museum 2010" Deutsches Museum Tip by JovialJanna2

Deutsches Museum, Munich: 51 reviews and 107 photos

We planned to see the Deutsches Museum on a Sunday because it is open on Sundays when many things in München are closed or operating in a lesser capacity on Sunday. This is one of the few good things I have to say about this Museum. First, let me start by saying that ever since I heard that the Deutsches Museum was the biggest and oldest Science and Technology Museum, I have been wanting to go there. I love science because the ingenuity of human beings is amazing, however, this Museum in no way paid homage to the brillant men and women that lent their time and knowledge designing the items inside it.

Here are some of my major complaints
- Museum supposedly opens at 9:00, but at 9:30 many exhibits were still closed.
- Many exhibits were broken featuring permanent looking 'out of order' stickers
- Translation of information on exhibits is inconsistent. While some items have translations into english, many do not.
- Building itself does not lend anything to the experience, plain white walls drew no attention to the objects and did not invite exploration.
- Docents or Museum help were practically non existent (when we did see one, she was reading a book rather than helping people find their way around this monsterous museum)
- Expensive, it costs 8 ? a person to enter this Museum, for what? They clearly are not updating and maintaining their exhibits.

Until the Deutsches Museum updates its displays, I dont recommend it to non-german speaking travelers.

Address: Museumsinsel 1, 80538 Munich
Directions: Take any S-Bahn to Isator exit. It is a 400 Meter walk from Tram Station.
Phone: +49 - 89 21791
Website: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/

• Written Aug 8, 2010

More Things to Do in Munich (1)

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Munich?