"muy fuerte indeed" El Cocuy Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

El Cocuy Favorites: 1 reviews and 1 photos

El Cocuy's signature white & green
by richiecdisc

Favorite thing: There isn't much to actually do in El Cocuy but if you are doing a trek in the nearby National Park, that just may suit you. It's a charming town to just stroll around with gorgeous white and green trimmed Colonial buildings that will keep your camera busy.

Fondest memory: The gateway town of El Cocuy was an authentic South American wonder. Nestled in the remote northeast corner of Colombia, it is surely not used to seeing many gringos and certainly not one like my lovely tall blonde wife who got many stares. The people at our hotel, at first indifferent, grew to like us and one of my fondest memories was while eating breakfast there. A grizzled old campesino came up and began speaking with us, no doubt looking for some business. Perhaps we were looking for a guide or a horse for the circuit. I explained in my meager Spanish that we had already done it, all on our own. He sized us up, our big packs sitting visibly in the corner and said we were “muy fuerte” to do it alone. I could not disagree and just smiled. We went back to eating and he told an old Colombian couple at the next table about our exploits and the woman kept looking over. When they were done with their meal, they came over, introduced themselves and shook our hands. They had come a long way (11 hours by bus from Bogota, there are no planes) to see the famous big mountains of Colombia, El Cocuy. Little known outside Colombia, countrymen are rightly awed by their incredible power and stature. They knew well, gringos or not, it was the rare person that got as close as we did. Few backpackers do this remote trek. Even fewer foreigners and generally only with the aide of a guide and horses. Their handshakes and words were warm, welcoming and honest. Nothing out of the ordinary in Colombia, a country misunderstood from afar by those who have never been but cherished by those who have.

• Written Aug 7, 2010

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to El Cocuy?