"Alpine Flowers..." Top 5 Page for this destination Wengen Favorite Tip by Greggor58

Wengen General: 8 reviews and 10 photos

Negritella on The Slopes above Wengen.
by Greggor58

Negritella on The Slopes above Wengen.
    by Greggor58
      Gentian on The Slopes above Wengen.
    by Greggor58
      Alpine Rosen on The Slopes above Wengen.
    by Greggor58
      Bellflower on The Slopes above Wengen.
    by Greggor58

Favorite thing: OK this wasnt my favorite thing about Wengen but this seemes like the best place to include this ...

I was fortunate while hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg a variety of Alpine Flowers in bloom?between the altitudes of about 2345 meters (the peak of Mannlichen) and about 2061 meters (Kleine Scheidegg).

If you might be traveling in the area and exploring the terrain at higher altitudes above Wengen watching and identifying these blooms might add a little something to your time there.

When they bloom is of course dependent on the weather and the conditions that vary somewhat from year to year but after the snows have melted and the temperatures warm up you can certainly look for them then. As I?ve mentioned my visit here was in the month of July so you can use this as a gauge for seeing blooming Alpine flowers when you?re hiking above the village of Wengen.

We were able to see and identify a few species that brought a little color to the slopes along that trails that we walked.

The species that I liked the most was the ?Gentian?, a really pretty blue color that grows in altitudes up to and including about 3500 meters. I was surprised to see them at this altitude because they grow quite well here in my home town of Ottawa which is NOT very high in altitude above Sea level.

We were also fortunate to see the odd bunch of ?Alpine Rosen?, a tiny pink flower that grows in altitudes up to about 2500 meters. Not so often but we saw two or three places where there were tiny Clover like flowers called ?Vanilla Orchis? or ?Negritella? which is a dark red color and has a scent similar to vanilla.

We also saw the odd Bellflower which in fact is quite common here in Canada as well.

So be on the lookout for some little dashes of color during your hiking adventures above Wengen? now you known four species that are found here and that you can identify along the trails.

• Written Aug 3, 2010

Comments

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Have you been to Wengen?