"Fun to peruse, bring cash" Downtown Tip by angied5460

Downtown, Los Angeles: 15 reviews and 32 photos

I am not sure why the "OC" poster dissed Downtown LA. (actually I DO know why... OC is NOT LA... if you want culture, don't go down there unless you drive all the way to San Juan Capistrano or Laguna).

Downtown LA is a treasure trove of weirdness. Now I won't contradict and say you won't find junk, because you will. Knock-offs to rival China, crap that will fall apart tomorrow. But I work in entertainment and my job is to buy things that look good on set. And let me tell you... between the Flower mart, the fabric stores and the odd amazing find (most notably the sample sale items) it's a neat place to walk through. And the cheapie food on the corner... tasty tasty (but not for a weak stomach!)

What to buy: Bare essentials, socks, underwear, cheap-o jeans that you might want to decorate yourself, backpacks, t-shirts, flowers, fabric if you're a crafty (hell... any sort of notion for crafties.. buttons, etc) Jewelry in the Jewelry area. *that's real jewelry, btw... got a pair of fabulous white gold hoops for $10 after I walked out of one store.. turns out they owned three on the block and by the time I got to the third one, the $50 earrings were $10... haven't tarnished and that was 8 years ago that I bought them)

What to pay: bring $20. If you see anything costing more than that (other than at the Fashion School's sample sale stuff) it's not worth it or a simple walk away will give you less.

Directions: Fabric District, Fashion District
Theme: Women's Clothes

• Written Aug 3, 2010

“Try everything once”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Los Angeles?