MANCHESTER ACADEMY 1: "Venue for live music" Manchester Nightlife Tip by suvanki

Manchester Nightlife: 213 reviews and 249 photos

by suvanki

This was my first trip to Manchester Academy- I'd traveled here to see The Gaslight Anthem, a band that I'd been wanting to see live, since I'd seen them on TV playing Glastonbury a year ago. By the time I found out they were appearing in Manchester, the tickets had sold out months before.
I decided to risk it anyway-

Unusually, it was a scorching hot day when I arrived at Piccadilly station - and it was a long (30 minute) walk to the venue.

I'd arranged to meet up with Gillybob for a drink in a pub near the Academy, and near her workplace. There were a few people queuing already (16.30, the doors opened at 19.30)

By the time we'd had a drink, a bite to eat, a chin-wag, and watched a bit of World Cup footie, the queue was getting longer. I managed to get a ticket- above the ticket price of course, but within the limit I'd decided I was willing to pay.

The doors opened on time, with good humoured security staff conducting bag searches.

Official merchandise on sale inside -

I think there were 2 bars serving a selection of draught beers, wine, soft drinks, water etc in plastic glasses. For a student bar, it wasn't particularly cheap.

No passes out - small enclosed yard at the back for smokers-no drinks allowed out here.

The concert hall is on one flat level- not so great when you're a shorty! However, I managed to get a comfortable spot at the front - Great view of the bands, and not squashed - Result!

After the concert, It was that walk back to catch my train - I walked so far, then hailed a taxi-the £5 fare was worth it!

Academy 1 has a purpose built first floor viewing gallery and bar which can be accessed by
disabled guests. Telephone 0161 275 2930 to pre- register to access this facility.

Photos allowed (None-pro cameras) not so keen on you videoing!

TICKETLINE BOX OFFICE
Telephone: 0161 832 1111

Dress Code: Casual - concert T-shirts etc -

Depends on the band you're watching-

Address: Oxford Road Manchester M13 9PR
Directions: 30 minute walk from Piccadilly Station.
Catch a number 147 Oxford Link bus to Manchester University (operates until 18.45)

Located on the University campus, opposite the
Medical school and Holy Name church.

Phone: Tel: 0161 275 2930
Theme: Live Music
Website: http://www.manchesteracademy.net/

• Updated Jul 27, 2010

Comments

suvanki Visits Here Frequently!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Manchester?