"Lovely place for couples" The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai Tip by nwestwood

The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai, Dubai: 1,471 reviews and 10 photos

pool

pool
      beach grill
      grounds
      hotel
      room
    by nwestwood

We stayed for 5 nights at the Palace for my 40th birthday. Now we have been very fortunate to have stayed in some of the worlds best hotels over the years (mainly in the far east) so can compare this hotel with others in the same league. The hotel grounds, rooms, pools (one very large pool plus a smaller one) restaurants, etc are all beautiful. The staff we're wonderful and always willing to help, think we only opened a door to any of the restaurants just once as there was always someone waiting (you can become very lazy here). Breakfast had plenty of choice and was of a very high standard, the fresh fruit was amazing! Eggs cooked to your liking and they even had bacon and HP brown sauce! We stayed in a standard deluxe room which was very, very nice. Plenty of space and all mod-cons including a large flat panel TV built into the wall. The bathroom had separate bath, toilet and shower which was one of the best showers we've ever used. The hotel is designed with an Arabian style mixed in with a blend of new. Its only 5 floors high which makes a nice change from all the sky-scrapers surrounding it. We had dinner 2 nights at the beach grill and it was very nice, the steak I had tasted spot-on. There we're a few families with kids but I would say this hotel is really just for couples, it would make a great honeymoon hotel. The hotel very kindly gave me a beautiful cake for my birthday along with a polo shirt and a lovely cook book (which I passed onto the wife ;-)) along with birthday cards. There are some negatives that I think the hotel should address, the first is there is no free Wi-Fi any where in the hotel! In this day and age every 3 star and above hotel should really offer free Wi-Fi and most do so why you can't have it at a five star hotel is beyond me??? The other thing is the price of alcoholic drinks, now everyone knows Dubai is a Muslin state and drinking is only available in the hotels so you expect to pay a premium. But the price the hotel charges are just simply extortionate!! One small bottle or can (half a pint) of beer is 7+, that's 14+ a pint!! The same beer can be purchased from the airport when you land for less than 1 per can/bottle! So stock up there. Overall our short break was wonderful, The hotel was everything we hoped for and more. Dubai is a great destination, even if it is expensive compared to the UK. If the hotel would be sensible with the drink price's and start to offer free Wi-Fi it would have received top marks all round.

Highly recommended.

P.S, expect to pay around 17 (85AED) for the taxi from the airport to the hotel.

Unique Qualities: Great design and fantastic pool.

Address: Al Sufouh Rd Almina Siyah, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Price Comparison: most expensive
Phone: 971 4 3999999
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://royalmirage.oneandonlyresorts.com

• Updated Jul 15, 2010

Comments

nwestwood

“see the world!!!!!”