"You Could Be Robbed On A Bench" Crime / After Dark Tip by abbyblazeclyde

Crime / After Dark, Boston: 12 reviews and 4 photos

The crime rate in Boston is not as high as it was ten years ago. There are, of course, still people out there with the intent to rob people of their belongings. It can be obvious, such as they will come up to you and demand your money, or suitable, where you don't realize your bag or wallet was missing until later because someone took it when you were not aware. While it has been said many times to be aware of your surroundings especially in large crowds or on a packed subway, there is a more sneaky way where someone can try to steal your stuff. Most people picture a pickpocket trying to grab someone's wallet or purse on the subway, but you can also be robbed while waiting for public transportation.

If you are sitting down on a long empty bench, with other vacant seats around, and someone wants to sit right next to you, I mean so close that it would look like you are friends with the person, be aware. Especially if you have a shopping bag beside you or a purse or backpack. They could be after your stuff, and think if you are unaware, reading a map, newspaper, or texting, you won't notice your bag gone if they get up off the bench, taking your bag, and walk away. You won't realize it until the subway or bus comes and that person is gone. By the time you put two and two together, the individual has gotten away.

This almost happened to me. I had a shopping bag and was waiting for the bus at Haymarket Station while sitting on the bench, and these two older females suddenly wanted to sit right beside me. There was plenty of room on the bench (like 7 feet to sit) and one of them shoved my bag over so they could sit that close to me and was almost sitting on the bag. There were even other benches to sit at, all empty. She than put her hand on my bag. That was when I realized they could be sitting extremely close to me on purpose on the empty bench to try to grab my shopping bag. I looped my arm through one of the handles of the bag, and they decided to get up and walk away.

If you are alone, occupied with listening to music, texting, or reading, loop your arm through the handles and always be physically touching the bag. Be aware of anyone who tries to sit deliberately too close to you.

• Written Jul 11, 2010