"White Water Rafting on Rio Grande River" New Mexico Sports & Outdoors Tip by Florida999

New Mexico Sports & Outdoors: 6 reviews and 8 photos

Rio Grande River
      Rio Grande River
      Rio Grande
    by Florida999

We found a brochure for NewWave rafting on the Rio Grande River in a hotel in Albuquerque ( I have to look up how to spell this every time I type it!! lol! I wonder how many times I spelled it wrong on this page)
So, we called them up and got a reservation for the same day ( in the middle of the week). I was a little nervous about it, and had visions of all of us smashed on some large rock in the Rio Grande, and ending up with cuts and bruises, or worse. I am a good swimmer, my daughter is currently a lifeguard, my son is a good swimmer and husband can at least get by, so I am not sure why I was so resistant to going white water rafting, after my family has bugged me to do it for many years. We did do it once before, but, lol, had non-swimmers on the raft that complained loudly that they did not wish to go over any rapids!!! So we did not actually do that ( Snake River , Wyoming/Idaho), how silly of them?huh?
So we went white water rafting in the Rio Grande Gorge, starting at the Rio Grande Gorge Visitor Center, down the "Racetrack" to the "County Line" parking lot maybe 10 miles south of there. And we all had a GREAT time!!! I think I want to do this again. The rapids were Class II and III, but a lot of them. Nobody fell out until the very end,lol, my son! The guide ( she knew a lot about the area and got us through the rapids no problem!) let my son "control" the boat and tell everyone when and which way to paddle, so he made us spin around, and ?promptly fell in! We all laughed?this was the flat section of the river. Most of us also went swimming down a small rapid. It was a lot of fun despite the very cold water, but that actually felt good in the heat.
(oh yeah, helmets and life vests were provided, but you must ( required) bring you own water shoes, not flip flops)

Equipment: Water shoes, or any shoes that can get wet and cannot float away, not flip flops!
Lots of sunscreen. Nothing that cannot get wet, best to wear a swim suit and t-shirt.

Theme: Rafting
Website: http://www.newwaverafting.com/

• Updated Jun 29, 2010

Florida999 Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to New Mexico?