Hotel J: "Small room, on a building site, unhelpful staff" Sweden Hotel Tip by DrPwk

Sweden Hotels: 124 reviews and 131 photos

I want to write a fair review of this place. I personally was disappointed, however, I feel that I am not their target audience so please weight up my points and decide whether this place is right for you. I would also like to say that I do my research thoroughly before travelling and I was still disappointed.

Bad points:
* They are building a whole new wing of the hotel - this is a massive building site where drilling, banging AND controlled explosions start promptly at 9am every morning. I wouldn't have minded this as much but there is no mention of this on the website, no mention of it when you book, no special deals etc. The whole point of this place is that it's out of the way and relaxing - everything is rather spoilt by the building site!
* I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. No maps could be given to the local area, only their EXCEPTIONALLY expensive restaurant is mentioned (with one veggie option), and only their boat to the city is mentioned (£15 for 2 people, one way), when there is 2 perfectly good bus routes which will save you a fortune. When we left the woman at the desk didn't ask if I had a nice time or any other pleasantries, simply demanded the money I owed and answered the phone leaving us to walk away. No taxi booking was offered, no 'thank you for staying', nothing. I found this just so exceptionally rude. It's such a small thing and I feel there is just an air of extreme arrogance about the staff. I must say that the breakfast staff were much nicer.
* Breakfast is crowded on a busy day, there isn't enough places for people to sit seperately at busy times so you have to share which not everyone likes to do.
* The room was really small. I had booked a seaview deluxe and this room felt cramped. Compared to the enormous room we had at the Clarion in town it was a big step down, for the same money.
* Nacka is COMPLETELY dead in the weekends and evenings. Nothing is open, not even a local shop after 6-7pm, there are no bars, cafes etc open. I understood it was a business area, but lots of people do live round there and there is very little available. It's quite eerie! Therefore if you want to eat anywhere other than there exceptionally expensive restaurant you need to head into town.
* Only one chair on the balcony meaning you cannot sit out together - a little odd!

Good points:
* Very nicely decorated
* Beds were enormous with super soft bedding
* Breakfast was very good
* Drinks and snacks available during the day but you do have to pay for them (25SEK for every hot drink)
* Lovely views

I feel this place is good for:
* people with money to spend - i.e. people who don't mind spending well over £80 on a 2 course meal everynight, are happy to eat at the same place every night, who aren't vegetarians. People who are happy to get a bus or for people who want to spend £15 each way on a boat to town every day.

Personally, I got a good discount through expedia as well as 12% cashback on my stay, so for a 3 night stay I spent to £135 per night compared to £197 for my room type. Even this I would say was expensive. I would never pay the rack rate for this place. If you can get a good rate then I would give this place a go if you are happy to spend the money on the extras like food etc.

Unique Qualities: Great Views
Secluded Location
Peaceful at night

Address: Ellensviksvagen 1, Nacka Strand, Stockholm 13127, Sweden
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Nacka Strand
Bus 71 or 443 from Slussen

Phone: 08-601 30 00
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel

• Written Jun 25, 2010

DrPwk Visits Here Frequently!

“Always include a little luxury, wherever you go!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.