"Trephina Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Alice Springs Things to Do: 129 reviews and 303 photos

The massive red cliffs are a feature of the gorge

The massive red cliffs are a feature of the gorge
      Road in to the gorge
  • Trephina Gorge - Alice Springs
      View from the rim walk
      Red rocks are everywhere
    by iandsmith

My goal for the day was Trephina Gorge, another 60kms up the road though so I headed off, hoping to make it around 11.30. Another 100 photos later I managed to arrive at 12.30 but not too unhappy.
After some melts I headed off on the Rim Walk, a loop that takes you along the northern rim before doing a right hand turn and gently bringing you back down to the river bed where the majority of tourists prefer to wander.
The road in had been spectacular and the gorge does not disappoint though there?s much more to see than what I allowed for. Spectacular cliff faces, river gums and a sandy river bed make it a wonderful place to spend time.
I continued on past the carpark on the return, heading towards where the road crosses the river. Unfortunately I encountered some quicksand and decided to cut the trek short, my boots and socks a tad dirtier than what they had been 5 minutes before.
I?d taken some pictures of Benstead Creek and here I found it was named after a young man of 22 who?d ridden all the way from Adelaide to manage Undoolya Station in 1877. 12 years later he bought two blocks of land and built the first pub in the Alice called Stuart Arms. He also found gold and got the first crusher to the field at Artlunga.
Apparently he was very popular and Trephina Gorge is named after his wife.

• Written Jun 24, 2010

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Alice Springs?