"Emily Gap" Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Alice Springs Things to Do: 129 reviews and 303 photos

The three caterpillars paintings
      The three caterpillars paintings
      Before the sun came up
    by iandsmith
      Some lovely rock formations.
    by iandsmith

Every time my foot hit the ground it felt like 50 knives were being shoved into my soles. The pain bordered on excruciating; every step was an exercise in pain management. I reflected how people mention how tough the early explorers had it, and I certainly don?t want to diminish the problems they had; but the aborigines actually used to live here and walk about barefoot, just as I was now doing.
Of course, they had no choice, I suppose I had. However, having to take my shoes off to wade through the pond I thought it a bit silly to put them on again when I wasn?t going to walk that far and would soon have to return through the pond. Heavens I was regretting that decision!
I was only walking on river gravel and it still hurt, exacerbated by the freezing cold temperature, but the 3 caterpillar rock paintings distracted my attention. They represented the three caterpillars that Intwailuka, an ancestral hero, ate here on his dreamtime journey.
I took a few snaps, decided this gap wasn?t as good as Jessie and headed off there again, thankfully with socks and shoes on now.
Emily is only a few kilometres east of town on the Ross Highway and well signposted.

• Written Jun 24, 2010

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Alice Springs?