"still within its soil, still within our soul" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

United States of America Favorites: 466 reviews and 430 photos

D & I enjoying Teddy's vision
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: I couldn't leave without going on one final road trip and showing my wife the greatest parts of her new country so off we set for a six-month sojourn sewn of tent camping and tramping to the far corners of our nation's varied vistas. With each state and National Park we passed a sense of pride swelled within me that I had not felt in ages. Teddy Roosevelt's idealistic notion that the great landscapes of this incredible country were to be set aside for all its citizens to enjoy was sweeping and now overwhelming not only me but its most important new citizen: my wife. As close as we had been prior, this trip put our souls together in seeming suspension. The spirit of a land once so strong was still within its soil. It was just its people who had lost their way.

As long as a six-month trip sounds, it had to come to an end sooner or later and this was one that ended for us with a degree of sadness. What had begun as a farewell to a dying nation had turned into a realization that once you let the beauty within the USA inside you, you can never really escape it. We were leaving the country for a chance at a new life elsewhere but now we knew that once there, we would always long at least partly for not only the great natural wonders we had seen but also the free spirit that had touched our souls so deeply. Saying goodbye to the USA? Perhaps not. Maybe it's just see you later.

• Updated Jun 20, 2010

Comments

richiecdisc Was Born Here!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to United States of America?