"Free walking tour" Walking Tip by June.b

• Free walking tour - Amsterdam
      our guide
      end of our tour
  • Free walking tour - Amsterdam

I joined the NewAmsterdam free walking tour that started at the Dam Square's National Monument (conducted by Sandemans).

It was a great introduction tour of the city and I would highly recommend it either you have only a day or several days to spend in the city. You can catch them also at the main train station but before 11am.

The tour starts at 11:15am, the lady in red shirt arrived at the national monument with a red sign board (see pic), she gave us a small paper with a number - a counter maybe to know how many people are joining the tour. Well, there are a lot of us so they have to seggregate the english and the spanish speakers. Both groups is big, I think we're about 30 or sumthin from various nationalities.

Our guide from NZ whom I forgot the name is them ost animated tour guide I've seen during my whole trip - both hands moving all the time, his voice changes from low pitch to high to growling depends on what he wants to emphasize and the theme of his stories. Kind of a good dubber for a cartoon movie. He's so much entertaining that sometimes he tells too much stories in one spot, and has a loud voice - if he's reading this sorry - don't stand in front of him as his spit is trajecting while he talks - am always at the back of the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, he's really good, probably the best guide I've seen.

The whole 2 hours and a half or so tour invloves all walking around some of the highlights of the city - no entry though at museums - so if you want to further explore the stuff you passed by later, at least you already got the info on its location.

If not for this walking tour, I may have not known about the narrowest building in the city, and the trivia about 18,000 bicycle falling on the canals each year, the story of the churches and red light district, and other interesting stuff.

Don't forget to tip your tour guide at the end of the tour, they are not salaried, they get their income from tips. I heard they give EUR1 to their company for each individual joining the tour - now I've realized, that's the small paper with a number they distribute right before the tour. So if you don't tip 'em, he loses 1 for each non-tipper. On the contrary if all people are generous, the guy would be more than happy.

They also have some other tours like Red Light at night EUR12, Bike Tour EUR15.

Address: National Monument
Directions: in front of the obelisk-shaped white monument @ Dam Square
Website: http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

• Updated Jun 20, 2010

Comments

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Amsterdam?