"Ethnographical Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Ethnographic Museum Tip by breughel

Ethnographic Museum, Krakow: 7 reviews and 13 photos

Room in Krakow 1920

Room in Krakow 1920
      Music instruments
      Agricultural instruments
      Nativity cribs.
      Spring time customs.
    by breughel

As I was a newcomer in Poland it seemed to me that a visit to the Ethnographical museum might be a useful thing to do during my visit of Kazimierz. The museum is not much visited what is regrettable because it is a good museum organized in a modern way with indications in Polish and English .
On the ground floor there is a series of rooms, each one being a reproduction of a folk interior from different regions of Poland. I much liked this part of the museum allowing me to enter into the privacy of the Poles from a century ago. Nice is the flowery décor of that Krakow room from 1920 (photo 1) .

On the first floor it has the world?s largest collection of Polish national costumes, too many to count them, and a collection of musical instruments (photo 2) .
I got interested by the collection of agricultural instruments. They were similar to those used in Flanders by my uncle and aunts when I was a kid. The harrow hanging on the wall (photo 3) was not very different from the one used by my uncle. His harrow and plough were pulled by one of these famous Belgian horses of which my country exported large numbers to the USA (still used by the Hamish I read).
On the top floor are examples of Nativity Cribs (photo 4) and spring time customs (photo 5).

Open 11 - 19 h, Thursday 11 h - 21 h, Sun 11 - 15 h. Closed Mon.
Price 8PLN, reduced 4PLN. Sunday free for permanent exhibitions. Toilets on the right of the ticket desk.

Address: pl. Wolnica 1, Kazimierz
Directions: Kazimierz district
Phone: +48 12 430 60 23
Website: http://etnomuzeum.eu

• Updated Feb 8, 2011

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Krakow?