"Beware, your personal belongings could be stolen" Albani Firenze Tip by ilikered

Albani Firenze, Florence: 1,032 reviews and 3 photos

My Room
by ilikered

I arrived at the hotel in the evening after a long journey from Pisa Airport, and I must say I was really impressed, the room was gorgeous. The next afternoon I placed quite a lot of euros in the room safe provided, but when I came back to my room to retrieve some more cash for the evening, I had noticed that ?80 was missing. It seemed like the money was stolen by the maid, as I only left the room for a 2 hours before returning and as I left the maid was working her cleaning shift on my floor. I was really upset about this as I really loved the hotel and the fact the the front of house staff seemed to be really nice. I felt awkward having to report this to the staff downstairs. My view changed of the staff when I was basically told that it was my fault I must have left the safe open. I am 100% certain that I locked the safe, as I had to make sure because of the amount of money I left in there. I was really pissed off when the staff downstairs did not suggest to investigate this matter, or have the manager speak to me to see how they could resolve this situation. It seemed like an inside job as only a certain amount of the cash was taken, not all of it. If it was another guest or intruder they would have taken the whole lot. I believe the perpetrator only took a certain amount hoping I would not notice it missing, and therefore when the next day enter my room to take another amount of cash. I had to report this to the Italian Police, which took up my whole day as there are so many different forces here, in order to obtain a written report, for to my insurance. The last straw was when I discovered two of my shirts missing from my luggage! These where placed in a separate pocket of my bag, which was not opened during my stay, so it seems like the light fingered maids were at it again! I also used to notice other strange activities by the staff in which I was called 2 times on my room phone, with the first time no answer, and the second time is a little more interesting; I had just come back from a really long day in the center, so when I came back to my room at 4pm I just feel asleep. At about 7pm I noticed the room phone was ringing, but as I was half asleep I did not pick it up. I believe this prompted one of the staff to see this as a indication that I was not in my room, so about 10 minutes later, sure enough I had a knock on the door, still half asleep I ignored it, only shouting out not to come in when I heard the key turn, then to hear a faint lady's voice mutter the word "sorry". I put off asking the reception what that was all about until the next day where I phoned down reporting that I had some clothing missing. I was told that one of the housekeeping staff forgot to leave any complimentary shampoo & bath foam in my room, which was strange as I did have those items already replenished, but I mean seriously! Why would housekeeping be so desperate to fulfill such an inane thing a 7pm!? It all smelt a little like bull to me, but hey maybe I just forgot to flush. I usually am very tolerant of these things. I was willing to still give a good review even after my money was stolen, as I do not believe the action of a few should tarnish the reputation of others, but my clothing going missing was really taking the ***. Thankfully the beauty of Florence relived some of the pain of this nightmare. I am actually so glad that I am leaving this place tomorrow. I know I may be unique as this hotel has received some really good reviews, and I can see why: the hotel rooms are stunning, great location, breakfast staff are fantastic also there was one shining light at reception a lady with straight hair (terrible I know, should know her name), but I believe the reason I was targeted with theft may have been due to my age, being in my early 20's, the maids probably thought that I would be totally oblivious to my items missing, as I don't know, being young and viral I must have been on constant heat to notice anything, mesmerised by the sexy young things of Florence, and I must say Italians are truly a beautiful people! Fortunately this hotel has not succeeded in ruining my love of Italy and Florence in particular where I have always dreamed of visiting since I was a creative misfit at art school fascinated by the renaissance movement.

Unique Qualities: Great room, breakfast & restaurant staff excellent, beautiful building & rooms, also convenient location.

Address: Via Fiume 12, Florence, Tuscany, 50123, Italy
Directions: Near Santa Maria Novella
Phone: 39-055-26030
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.albanihotels.com/firenze/eng/hotel-albani-firenze.php

• Updated Jun 12, 2010

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Florence?