La Vecchia Napoli: "Italian pizza and wine!" Ventimiglia Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Ventimiglia Restaurants: 13 reviews and 20 photos

Interior at La Vecchia Napoli pizzeria
      Capricciosa pizza at La Vecchia Napoli
      A 1/2 pichet of wine at La Vecchia Napoli
    by SWFC_Fan

My girlfriend and I ate lunch at Ristorante Pizzeria La Vecchia Napoli during our visit to Ventimiglia in May 2009.

We were visiting Ventimiglia for the day from Nice in France, and the fact that we had crossed the border into Italy had me longing for pizza, wine and ice cream. In my mind, I had visions of a nice little Italian pizzeria, home-cooked pizzas and chilled white wine. This place was just what I was looking for.

La Vecchia Napoli enjoys a peaceful location, separated from the town centre by a bridge that crosses a narrow inlet of the sea. The beach is just metres away, while the snow covered mountains are visible on the horizon. The surrounding buildings perfectly fitted my stereotypical image of urban life in a small Italian town ? faded walls, washing hanging from the upstairs windows, small flower-filled balconies, scooters parked out front.

As you?d expect, the menu is dominated by pizzas and pasta dishes. I had my heart set on the former, so I only briefly skimmed the latter. There was the usual array of spaghetti, tagliatelle, penne, lasagne and tortellini dishes. The choice of pizzas was fairly extensive, and featured the usual toppings, especially local items such as Italian prosciutto ham, buffalo mozzarella cheese, seafood, tomatoes and black olives.

Large pizzas cost between 6 and 8 Euros, somewhat cheaper than the prices in Nice where we had come from. The wine was considerably cheaper than in Nice.

I opted for:

Capricciosa pizza - Cost: 6.50 Euros

A large, thin based pizza topped with mozzarella, tomato, ham and mushrooms. This was unmistakably Italian pizza, and I was impressed!

My girlfriend opted for a pizza topped with cured ham (larger, thinner, more raw looking slices of ham than on my pizza), mozzarella and rocket. Cost: 7.50 Euros.

White wine - Cost: 6 Euros

We shared a half pichet (50cl) of local white wine. It was chilled, slightly sparkling, but not too fizzy. Perfect!

Good pizza and chilled white wine, between the beach and the mountains. A wonderful family-run pizzeria and the perfect place for lunch in Ventimiglia. Highly recommended!

Price Comparison: about average
Phone: 352471
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

• Written Jun 12, 2010

More Restaurants in Ventimiglia (1)

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Ventimiglia?