"St. Barbara church - Interior." Top 5 Page for this destination Church of St. Barbara Tip by breughel

Church of St. Barbara, Krakow: 7 reviews and 9 photos

St. Barbara High Altar
      St. Barbara High Altar
      St. Barbara - Our Lady of Jurowice
    by breughel

It started here with a graveyard chapel in the 14th c. and progressively enlarged to a church. In 1583 the church was taken over by the Jesuits who wanted to have their own house in a town that had the royal court and a university. In the 17th c. and 18th c. renovation and enlargement works were carried out so that St. Barbara combines Gothic and Baroque elements. Houses of the neighbourhood were bought to lodge the Jesuits.
All this ended when Pope Clement XIV in 1773 dissolved the Jesuit order.
The Jesuit house was transformed in an academic hospital. The church was handed over to the Canons Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre. When the Jesuit order was restored (1814) the church became again theirs and since 1931 an historical monument.

The high altar caught my attention and a nun active at the sacristy, and selling a booklet on the church, wanted to show me something. She pushed a button on the side of the altar and the picture of St. Barbara moved upwards to be replaced by one of Our Lady. After a new button push and some waiting this picture moved also upwards to unveil a Gothic wooden crucifix from 1410 surrounded by baroque gilded figures from St. John at St. Mary Magdalene!
After that I could not do anything else than buy a booklet of the church. I still wonder since when this mechanism (now electric) is active.
Greatly worshipped in this church is the picture of Byzantine origin (14th c. ?) of Our Lady of Jurowice. After many adventures this fine picture arrived at St. Barbara in 1855.
The special prayer to Our Lady of Jurowice ends with:
"Mary, do not abandon me! I beg you, do not abandon me!"

Address: Maly Rynek 8, 31-041 Krakow,
Directions: Historical centre

• Updated Feb 1, 2015

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Krakow?