"Canadian Museum of Nature." Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa and area Museums Tip by Regina1965

Ottawa and area Museums, Ottawa: 65 reviews and 151 photos

The beautiful gothic style building.
by Regina1965
      The beautiful gothic style building.
    by Regina1965
      One of the very realistic animals in the museum.
      One of the dinosaurs.
    by Regina1965
      I in the dinosaur garden.
  • - Ottawa

I am a Nature museum nut, so where ever I go I look for a nature museum. And I was not disappointed when visiting The Canadian Museum of Nature.

It recently reopened on the 22nd of May 2010, after 5 years of renovation, so I was in luck. I went there with a group of friends including one VT-friend Greggor58 and we met another VT-friend there by chance Coollikethat.

The building itself, The Victoria Memorial Museum building, is striking and looks like a Gothic style castle. The building is one of Canada's most significant federal heritage buildings. It even housed the Senate for 4 years after a fire in the Parliament. The Museum of Nature received the 2011 International Architecture Awards.

The museum is on 4 floors and expect to stay there for hours. On the first floor there are dinosaurs and the dinosaur garden (see my photo). On the second floor there is the mammal gallery and blue water gallery. There are polar bears and a sceleton of a blue whale - you know, the largest animal on this planet - it is awesome.

On the 3rd floor is my absolute favourite, The Vale earth gallery, with a collection of 800 minerals - and yes, I have added a travelogue with more photos of the minerals, they just mesmerise me :) On this floor is also a frog exhibition and photo exhibition with awesome photographes. I have added another travelogue with more photos of the museum. Did I mention that I loved my visit there ;)

On the 4th floor is the bird gallery and galleries which are available for rental and while we were visiting there was a wedding reception at the museum :)

Entrance fee is CAD 10. Remember to reserve a ticket to the Aquashow when you buy the ticket - it is very well done.

Free entrance on Thursdays from 17-20.

The museum is open on Thursdays and Fridays from 9-20 and other days of the week from 9-18.

Address: 240 McLeod Street, Ottawa
Directions: On the corner of Metcalfe street and McLeod Street. Look out for a castle with elephants in the garden - you cannot miss it :D
othercontact: questions@mus-nature.ca