"The Sigismund Bell." Top 5 Page for this destination Sigismund Bell - Wawel Cathedral Tip by breughel

The Sigismund Bell.
by breughel

The Sigismund Bell in the Wieza Zygmuntowska tower is part of the combined ticket of the Cathedral visit. The entrance is in the left part of the church, not far from the Black Christ's Crucifix.

Climbing the 70 steps is the sportive and funny part of the Cathedral visit. The staircase is in wood, sometimes a bit narrow but as there is a way-up separated from the way down the flux of visitors is rather smooth.
First are seen some smaller bells from the 15th c. before reaching the enormous Sigismund Bell weighing nearly 10.000 kg cast in 1520.

The bell is only rung on religious and national holidays, requiring the strength of twelve strong men and can be heard 50km away. I presume they wear hear protections.
You will see from my photo that visitors touch the clapper. At the same time they whisper a wish. I'm pleased to say that it works: I wished nice weather for my stay and indeed I got sunshine. The rain started only when I embarked on the plane back home.

Photos are allowed in the tower.

Address: Wawel
Directions: Historical centre

• Updated Feb 1, 2015

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Krakow?