"The fine art of 4 way stops" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Transportation Tip by CatherineReichardt
Johannesburg Transportation: 93 reviews and 82 photos
Many of the road intersections that you will encounter in South Africa are 4 way stops - this is a cheaper method of traffic control than traffic lights, and has the distinct advantage that they function regardless of whether it has been raining or not!
The etiquette at 4 way stops is quite simple: the first vehicle to reach the intersection is the first person to cross it. Stopping at 4 way stops (even if there are no other vehicles) is mandatory, and fining offenders is an easy source of municipal revenue for the traffic cops.
If traffic lights (bizarrely referred to as 'robots') are not functioning (either as a result of power cuts, cable theft or rain) then the intersection should be treated as a 4 way stop.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Transportation in Johannesburg (29)
More Reviews (180)
- See All Sheer unadulterated gastroporn!
- See All The best place to buy maps and travel...
- See All Jo'burg's all but forgotten Holocaust...
- See All Some tips on parking your car safely
- See All Buying diamonds in South Africa (or...
- See All Boutique hotel conveniently located in...
- See All So, who was this Johannes bloke anyway?
- See All Bowl a maiden over at The Wanderers!
- See All Clubs in Johannesburg
- Sandton Square - much ado about nothing
- Randburg Waterfront now called...
Been to Johannesburg?Share your travels with the world!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels