"the Chinatown Express" Chinatown Tip by richiecdisc

Chinatown, New York City: 17 reviews and 15 photos

the soup dumplings that drew us here
by richiecdisc

Favorite thing: So much to see, so much to do but let's get talking: SO much to eat. You name it they got it and they got it good.

Fondest memory: Okay, this is where I went a bit overboard with my obsession with food. My wife could understand my wanting to find the best pizza, the best bagel, and even the best deli in NYC but the best Chinese food? And not even IN The City but in perhaps North America, possibly outside China. Well, maybe that's taking it a bit far but as strange as this sounds, this entire trip to New York City had its inception in an article in our local Sunday paper about how you could find more types of Chinese cuisine in a small neighborhood in Flushing, NY than anywhere outside of China. It sounded not only incredibly good but such an adventure that not only I but my wife was dying to go there. Of course, once we got to New York City and only had two days there, she started to ease up a bit on ?having to go.? It was out-of-the-way, it was going to be time-consuming and we most certainly could not go during the day and waste valuable site-seeing time. No, we'd have to go at night and maybe miss out on some of the foodie treasures and we'd have to brave NYC winter temperatures in doing it.

Taking the train sounded daunting and would take too much time so we opted on going on one of the Chinatown Shuttles we had read about. Sure, they sounded possibly a bit hair raising in NYC traffic with a crazed Chinese driver but it was quicker and much cheaper. As it turned out, it was easier to do than it sounded. You just had to wander around NYC's Chinatown looking for small white vans heralding many destinations. As it turns out, this mostly for Chinese American shuttle network shuffles people from one US Chinatown to another rather efficiently and largely unbeknownst to the population at large. And we are not talking taking a slow boat to China either, baby. No, they move you about as quickly as is legally and even illegally possible. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Written May 24, 2010

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to New York City?