"Hiking in Jarabacoa and Manabao, D.R." Top 5 Page for this destination Jarabacoa Things to Do Tip by Linda881

Jarabacoa Things to Do: 8 reviews and 16 photos

On a recent trip to Jarabacoa I had the pleasure of going on a Hiking trip in Manabao. We went on a day trip which started by car transporting us up into the mountains where we started our hiking journey. The area was very remote and absolutely beautiful. We hiked for about an hour through, what was at times, heavy jungle but still a walkable trail. Other times it reminded me of hiking in either the mountains of Tennessee or Georgia. Lots of pine trees and Spanish moss. We came upon a waterfall, in the middle of nowhere. This definitely wasn't a site that most visitors to this country experience, untouched and completely natural and it looked to me that we were probably the first visitors this waterfall had seen in some time. Midway into the day, we stopped at a village where our guide had made prior arrangements for lunch. The ladies served up a Dominican style lunch that was excellent. This trip gave me a view of the Dominican Republic that I will never forget. Being an avid hiker, I was in heaven. Some may think the terrain was a little tough in areas, but not me. The guide did tell me that they have other hikes not quite as physically demanding for people that just like to take a nice easy adventure, photo walks etc. I recommend this trip for anyone that likes to hike. You defiantly will want a guide as finding the trails and knowing where to go would be almost impossible without. My next trip to Dominican Republic I am going to Pico Duarte.

Address: Jarabacoa/Manabao
Directions: Jarabacoa, about 45 minutes from Santiago, 30 minutes from La Vega
Phone: 829-838-4653
Website: http://www.Jarabacoagold.com

• Written May 23, 2010

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Jarabacoa?