"The only building I recognized thirty years later" Tinh Binh Duong Favorite Tip by Nemorino

Tinh Binh Duong Favorites: 14 reviews and 17 photos

Favorite thing: --

I realize that this picture from the year 1965 is quite blurry, but I'm posting it here anyway because this house with the little steeple is the only building I recognized when I returned to Phước Vĩnh thirty years later.

The other buildings I had known were quite nondescript to begin with, and the whole place had already been changed around in the late 1960s, when Phước Vĩnh was a large American base and was used for staging numerous operations and battles in the region. For this reason the airstrip had been paved and was maybe ten times as long as I remembered it.

When I returned to Phước Vĩnh in 1995 some local farmers had spread out their rice on the airstrip to dry, but I hope they had some way to cover it up because there was a heavy monsoon shower later that afternoon.

Our driver, Tanh, knew a good local restaurant in the town of Phước Vĩnh, so we went there for a delicious bowl of Phở, the Vietnamese soup. Then he asked if we (my son Nick and I) would like to return to Biên Hòa by a slightly different route so we could stop by his parents' home and meet his family. We immediately agreed to this, as we always enjoyed meeting the local people.

Next: A heavy monsoon shower, 1995

• Updated Apr 17, 2013

Comments

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Have you been to Tinh Binh Duong?