"Bargaining and shopping" Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Trap Tip by Heyokasun
Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Traps: 59 reviews and 27 photos
There are nowhere such bargaining masters like in Egypt. Perhaps you have euro, dollar currency with you and when you start converting, you are lost. After coming to the hotel room, where you can count in calm everything, you realized that you had overpaid. Egypt is poor country, that's why people try to earn money by using tricks on tourist. Maybe you think it is unfair because in your country there are the same prices for local and tourists. To avoid it try to learn some rules.
Unique Suggestions: Shopping in Old Market in Sharm can be very tiring and disappointing experience unless you follow several tips:
1. Never ever say you're in Egypt first time.
2. If you're skin is naturally white and sun resistant (as mine), explained that to your seller... You'll big surprise on his face.
3. Don't say where are you really come from... It's better to say some unknown places... They will be embarrassed and unable to use tricks on you.
4. If you somehow told the truth about your nationality, don't believe that your seller was there and know your country, even if he says so...
5. Don't show your seller what you're really interested in... Take the pose you don't need anything.
6. Official prices are at least 50% higher.
7. If you don't want to buy anything, don't look into sellers eyes, at goods, don't answer (don't say even "hello"), just go straight ahead.
If this is too stressful for you, forget about shopping, just relax, take an advantage of beautiful nature and tell the sellers you have already bought everything you need.
Fun Alternatives: If you failed and realized you have been overpaid, don't get angry. You had an adventure, another story to tell and warn the others. Next time you'll be smarter. It's like an initiation ceremony everyone has to follow. Just be happy from the goods and think that you're buyer luckily, not seller who has to feed his family by using tricks...!
Have you been to Sharm El Sheikh?Share Your Travels