Hula Grill: "Excellent Sunset Dinner" Top 5 Page for this destination Buzz's Steak House Tip by cjg1

Buzz's Steak House, Oahu: 6 reviews and 18 photos

Ice Cream Sandwich

Ice Cream Sandwich
      Fresh, Warm Foccacia
      Incredible View of the Beach
      Vegetable Stir Fry
      Lobster Tail with Asparagus and Rice
    by cjg1

The Hula Grill was a place we absolutely loved both for the food and the atmosphere. The Hula Grill is located in the Outrigger Waikiki just upstairs from Duke's. When you first enter the place the Plantation Bar and Cafe is on the left. The restaurant has dining areas both inside and outside.

We preferred to sit outside on the terrace with a nice beach view so we made sure to make reservations in advance (the place does fill up). The menu here has a nice selection of appetizers, salads, main dishes, desserts and sides. Both of our meals here were right before sunset on the outdoor terrace. Our waiter Aaron was great and very attentive making sure our drinks were always full; Mai Tai for me and Unsweetened Iced Tea for Liz. They make incredible fresh foccacia bread here that is served with olive oil and chili oil for dipping. Aaron had told us to combine the two oils for an awesome taste (he was right, yum).

Liz loved their Tarragon Roasted Lobster Tail in a Lemongrass beurre blanc. The tail was from a spiny lobster and very sweet. It was served with wild rice and asparagus (I ate the asparagus for her since it is her least favorite veggie). I ordered the Kung Pao Vegetable stir fry. It was a combination of vegetables in a garlic, ginger, black bean sauce served with rice. It was very good and I enjoyed the intense flavors.

We already knew what we wanted for dessert; the homemade ice cream sandwich. We had been told it is the best dessert on the island next to Hula Pie. The dessert was fresh macadamia nut brownies with Tahitian vanilla ice cream in the middle; covered with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. My God it was divine on so many levels. ...the best dessert I have had to this day. I was glad though that we had agreed to split dessert since the portion was huge.

Hula Grill is an awesome place. We loved the calm atmosphere and the beautiful view. This is a nice place to have a relaxing dinner for two with incredible food and service. This is probably why we returned twice for dinner during our stay.

Favorite Dish: The Mai Tai's are very good here and I enjoyed the glass Tiki Head they were served in. The food portions were good and The Kung Pao Stir Fry was so good I ordered it twice. I loved the flavor of the sauce so garlic infused. The vegetables were crisp and not overly cooked which can sometimes zap their flavor.

I have to say that the ice cream sandwich was the best dessert I have had in a long time. The ice cream is creamy, the brownies are rich and moist and the raspberry sauce is a perfect contrast to the sweetness. I'd come here just for dessert...it is a meal in itself.

Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Outrigger Waikiki
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

• Updated Sep 26, 2012

Comments

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Have you been to Oahu?