"Historic Inn for a Historic City" Griswold Inn Tip by msbrandysue

Griswold Inn, Essex: 174 reviews and 6 photos

by msbrandysue

• Historic Inn for a Historic City - Essex
      Open the windos during the summer for some a/c
    by msbrandysue

My stay here was pleasant. There was a sale on the rooms for $109 a night during the summer for Sundays-Thursdays. So, I stayed on a Sunday night. The room was small but had a private stand-up shower and bathroom. There was no tv, so I actually played on my laptop most of the night. The linens were simple but comfortable.

The only negative thing was that they charged me a higher amount to my credit card then the price that I booked online. So, we had to have a few phone calls after I received my bill, but they ended up putting money back on my card. Still, because it's independent there's only one accountant and one reservation assistant so they were never there to speak with me, they always had to return my call.

Unique Qualities: The rooms are very close to the Tap Room, which is the bar that houses live bands. Even on Sunday night they were playing good music until around 10-11. If you're an early sleeper this may be a problem if you don't like loud noises.

Also, the rooms are upstairs and the stairs are NARROW. So if you don't do well with stairs you may need to request a special room across the street in their extension of rooms.

There's no fast food for about 15 minutes so make sure you get an early dinner before the restaurants close up!!

Address: 36 Main St., Essex, Connecticut, 06426, United States
Comparison: about average
Directions: In the middle of Main Street, on the right coming into town
Phone: 860-767-0481
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://griswoldinn.com/

• Updated Jul 2, 2010

Comments

msbrandysue

“God made Texas on his day off...for pure entertainment. Mary Lasswell”

Have you been to Essex?