"Et-Pumpkin Tour" Sapa Things to Do Tip by Willettsworld

Sapa Things to Do: 76 reviews and 292 photos

I travelled to Sapa as part of a 4 day/3 night tour with et-pumpkin who are based in Hanoi. Everything was done for me and I travelled from Hanoi to Sapa via train and bus where they even have their own 1st class train carriage which was very nice. I arrived at their hotel in Sapa called the Pumpkin Hotel (see my accommodation tips) and got given a good sized twin room all to myself which had 2 single beds, desk, 2 chairs, TV, phone, and a clean bathroom. The staff were nice and friendly plus I had all my meals here during the 2 days I stayed here before and after my 2 day trek. The meals are from 4 set menus with different choices of a soup, veg, main dish, spring rolls, rice and get a bit boring as you have to choice them for lunch and dinner.

After a little rest I explored what little there is to see in Sapa itself for the first day as this was given to me as a 'day off'. Day 1 of my trek started the following day which took me from Sapa to a village called Ta Vin where we stayed with a Zay family overnight. After climbing down from Sapa and just making out the rice terraces through the mist, we walked through the village of Lau Chai, after having lunch, past pigs, ducks, buffalo and some lovely wooden houses. We got to our overnight home stay in the village of Ta Vin where our beds were upstairs on the floor while they cooked our evening meal on a small open fire in the kitchen area where the food was fantastic.

Day 2 of the trek started with breakfast which consisted of crepes, toast, coffee/tea. We left and started to make our way up the valley along some very muddy paddy fields where my feet slipped all over the place even though I had on brand new boots which I had bought in Sapa. We came to the village of Giang Tachai which is a Zao village and visited inside a house which was very interesting. The village had only had electricity for the last couple of years and the school had only been built in 2004. We had lunch near the river and I said goodbye to my fellow tour party as I had to make my way back to Sapa and they went their way to another village for another overnight stop. I got back to Sapa and spent the night at the same hotel.

Day 3 took me down to the cultural village of Cat Cat. A 17-year old Black Hmong girl, who was on the first day trek to Ta Van, took me here where we headed downhill past wooden houses selling more textiles. We then came to a museum sort of place which displayed some ethnography items such as musical instruments, tools etc and then carried on down to some waterfalls. I then had the afternoon to myself before being taken to Lai Cai and the overnight train back to Hanoi. I really enjoyed my tour and trek and it was really good fun to stay with an ethnic minority family. Check at et-pumpkins website below and book with them direct at their office in Hanoi's old quarter.

Address: 89 Ma May st, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
Website: http://www.et-pumpkin.com

• Written May 16, 2010

“"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb”

Have you been to Sapa?