"Tour from Granada to Masaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicaragua Things to Do Tip by MalenaN

Nicaragua Things to Do: 245 reviews and 465 photos

Walking down to the tunnel

Walking down to the tunnel
      Outside the tunnel
      Smoke from the vulcano
      An inactive crater
      Vulcán Masaya, the Santiago crater
    by MalenaN

There are several companies in Granada organising tours to Vulcán Masaya. Some of the tours are day tours, some are night tours (actually late afternoon/evening) and some include stops at the market in Masaya or in the Pueblos Blancos.

I chose to take a night tour to Vulcán Masaya with Tierra Tour. When I booked the tour I paid 30 dollars, but when I arrived at the office the next afternoon more people had signed up for the tour so I asked someone what they had paid, and it was 25 dollars (July 2009). I told the staff in the office and they gave me 100 cordobas (5 dollars) back.

We left Tierra Tour for Vulcán Masaya at 16:00. Arriving at the National Park Vulcán Masaya we drove up to the rim of the Santiago crater where we parked the car while we walked up to the Bobadilla cross for nice views. Sulphur dioxide gas was coming out of the crater making thin and thicker clouds of smoke, but some of the time you could see much of the crater.

We went back to the minibus and drove up a small road to see another crater, an inactive crater covered with green vegetation. After that we continued a little bit further to an underground tunnel formed long ago by a lava stream. We got helmets, with headlamps, to put on the head and went in to the tunnel. We walked 180 metres into the tunnel and along the way we could see some bats hanging in the roof. After that we went to another tunnel opening where we sat down. It started to get dark and we were waiting for the bats to leave the cave. First a few bats came out then more and more, flying quickly past our heads. This was the first time I had seen bats flying out of a cave in masses and it was great they were so close.

Before leaving the national park we went up to the Santiago crater again, but this time to the opposite side from before. It was now dark and we went over to the rim to look down and deep down we saw an orange glow from the lava, but the gas cloud soon covered the crater and blew over us. It got all foggy and it felt difficult to breath. We ran back to the minibus which quickly drove away and we sat coughing for a long while.

Before 20.00 we were back in Granada.

• Written May 15, 2010

Comments

MalenaN Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Nicaragua?