"Fishy feet massage/pedicure!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Sheffield Things to Do: 148 reviews and 398 photos

Appy Feet flyer
      Appy Feet flyer
    by suvanki
      At least Debbie had a go!
    by suvanki
      and this is supposed to be RELAXING??????
    by suvanki

UPDATE - this place is no longer here - I'm not sure if they have located elsewhere, but I think that the novelty value has lost its appeal with these type of places PLEASE DO NOT RATE THIS TIP.

Meadowhell (sic) is the place for the first UK Fish Spa, where Garra Rufa fish suck and nibble away at the dry skin on your feet (or hands) Garra Rufa fish are a breed of carp - they have no teeth, so the only flesh they eat is the hard, dead and dry stuff you normally scrape away with a pumice or foot file. The claim is that these clever fish can also stimulate acupuncture points, helping to regulate the nervous system, relax the body and release fatigue.

I heard about this a few weeks ago, and was curious to try it-so as I had to go to Meadowhall, I decided to give it a go.

Double fronted windows- with reception desk and orange seating around the tanks of fishes. (The colour orange has been chosen deliberately CLICK HERE to find out why

I chose the 15 minute foot treatment for 10.
I had to fill in a health questionnaire , and sign a disclaimer - any illnesses/surgery in past 12 months, blisters/cuts on feet etc. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Seating while you wait (with out of date magazines- Wanderlust/Arty Mag/Now etc)

I only had a short wait until I was called over to immerse my feet in a foot spa for a few minutes

(I could only hope these were cleaned/sterilized between each client!)

Then I was instructed to put my feet into the tank, where the schoals of fish were happily swimming around. An alarm clock was placed nearby-ticking down my 15 minutes.

The water was quite warm. As soon as my feet were submersed, the fish attacked!!! A really strange sensation- very ticklish at first!!
Well it was quite relaxing for most of the time, unless a few fishes hit a ticklish spot.

All too soon my 15 minutes was up, and I was given a towel to dry my feet. A couple opposite me , (who finished a few minutes before me) were given coconut scented moisturising cream. The owner was on the 'phone when I finished, so not sure if they had special treatment, or that I missed out!
Well my feet felt quite soft and clean, but I still had some dry skin on the soles of my feet. ( Well these were my post winter feet and I hadn't had a pedicure for a while!

It was an interesting, novelty experience. I'll probably stick to my pumice stone/foot file in future, (unless I go there with a group of friends, for a girly day out) but I'm glad I tried this out.

Apparently, the owner Christina Wright from Renishaw (Derbyshire), came across this practice while on holiday in Japan, and saw the business opportunity. However UK Health and Safety laws etc are more stringent than the Far East! She eventually overcame these obstacles to set up her first business here in Sheffield.
(Branches open/opening in Derby, Leeds, Brighton, London, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and York)

Prices (May 2010)

Monday - Friday
10:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 5:00pm

For local paper accounts ......

and youtube video of opening of this shop, giving an idea of what the treatment involves

Meadowhall Shopping Centre http://www.meadowhall.co.uk/website/

Head Office
Eckington Business Centre
8 Gosber Street
S21 4DA

UPDATE - I went again with some of my friends, which made it more of a fun event- poor Debbie didn't really want to have a go, but she bravely did- her faces and screams were unbelievable! I did video it on my phone, but I can't put it on here, as the sounds were X-rated!!! (Also I value my life ;-0 !!!)

Address: Lower Arcade, Meadowhall, Sheffield
Directions: Meadowhall -is just off Junction 34 of the M1. Signposted.
Trains/trams and buses stop here too.

Appy Feet is located in Meadowhall on the lower floor of 'The Arcades' near Marks and Sparks. (Marks and Spencers)

othercontact: info@appyfeet.com
Phone: 0114 2569799
Website: http://appyfeet.co.uk/

• Updated Jan 23, 2016

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Erm.... interesting.... not sure if I would try this :-)

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Sep 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Did it a couple of times, but more for novelty value !

suvanki Lives Here!

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Sheffield?