"Pingyao, the walled city" Shaanxi Sheng Things to Do Tip by SandiM

Shaanxi Sheng Things to Do: 10 reviews and 12 photos

Would you like to do something different that not a lot of tourists do? To really enjoy some of the ambience of the country? I visited a place called Pingyao, and stayed inside the old city walls at one of the courtyard hotels where I got to try out one of those famouse giant-sized Kang beds (an interesting experience!). This city was so nice and mixed the old with the new, and then I got above it all and simply walked the walls most of the way around and got a different perspective. What really got to me, was the way I was treated there. The children would scamper past me on bikes or with friends, and call out cheerily to me 'hello!', to which I would always reply 'Nihao!' and it made them giggle. The old folks would play card games on a side street, and it got pretty intense! Others would gather around a group of musicians playing old wooden instruments and sing together....Night times were bright with red lanterns and you felt safe strolling the main streets, enjoying the banter and comraderie of all....truly a great experience, and one I hope to enjoy again on e day soon! Get there by train or bus! Easy access from Beijing!

• Written May 3, 2010

“Where there's a will, there's a Way”

Have you been to Shaanxi Sheng?