""Kataklysmos" - Flood Festival in Larnaka" Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca Off The Beaten Path Tip by greekcypriot
Larnaca Off The Beaten Path: 13 reviews and 34 photos
If you happen to be in Larnaca by the 24th of May 2010, be sure to go down to Finikoudes and enjoy the Flood Festival.
Larnaca organizes the biggest Festival of Flood in Cyprus and celebrates Kataklysmos for several days. On the sea front promenade you will find open-air fair with plenty of kiosks selling toys and traditional food. Popular Greek and Cypriot singers and dance troupes perform in Larnaca. There are competitions in the water as well as a contest for chatista, or rhyming songs in the Cypriot dialect.
Kataklysmos, or the Flood Festival, takes place in Cyprus every year, 50 days after Orthodox Easter. The event takes place on the day that is known also as the day of the Holy Spirit, because it commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles. In Cyprus, however, the celebrations are connected also to the ancient ceremonies organized in honor of Aphrodite and Adonis.
Water is the main focus of the festival. All coastal cities organize concerts, games and other events near the waterfront. Be ready to get wet at Kataklysmos! The biggest of all festivals however takes place in Larnaca!
More Reviews (85)
- See All NEW Management, Excellent Budget Option
- See All Exclusively Cypriot Tastes, -A Steady...
- See All The Salt Lake of Larnaca -End of October
- See All The Mosque of Tekke by the Salt Lake
- See All Attention...Avoid Makenzi area till...
- See All Cosy and Inviting!
- See All The Weever's poisonous spines!
- See All Intercity Buses
- See All Cypriot dishes and how to ask for them...
- See All It's really hot...Cool up with a KEO...
- See All Fashionable Boutiques in Larnaca
Been to Larnaca?Share your travels with the world!
greekcypriot's Related Pages
Have you been to Larnaca?Share Your Travels