"The best guide book!" Budapest Packing List Tip by german_eagle

Budapest What to Pack: 39 reviews and 27 photos

Budapest guide book
by german_eagle

Miscellaneous: I spent a lot of time with preparations for my Budapest trip. Of course I used the internet, the pages here on VT but also other travel forums, but the most helpful ressource was a guide book that I found in my State und University Library: Andras Török's "Budapest - ein kritischer Reisefüher". It must be available in English, too. Both the New York Times and The Independent had rave reviews about it.

Török, born 1954, was a dissident, later State Secretary for culture followed by his position as chairman of the foundation for Hungarian culture. His guide book gives inside information on everyday life in Budapest, he covers more off the beaten path places than the so called 'must' places. He writes with a great sense of humour, doesn't spare negative comments on current developments - but always with deep love for his city. A great read even if you don't plan to visit Budapest. The only complaint I have is that the third edition from 1999 is the only copy my library had - no idea if there's a newer one.

• Written May 1, 2010

Comments

Have you been to Budapest?