"Sanjay Gandhi National Park" Sanjay Gandhi National Park Tip by smirnofforiginal

Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai: 8 reviews and 16 photos

Fed up with the hustle and bustle in Mumbai? Then this is an ideal excursion!
My Lonely Planet presented me with a certain image of getting down with the wildlife... what with it being 104sq km of protected tropical forest... I saw a lone lizard. However, it is a nice place to go to to relax and it is not at all touristy... only locals out for a walk. There is a section of lake that you can hire a pedal boat on... even this seemed like exceptionally hard work in the summer heat... but was nice and kept the children amused for as long as we had the stamina!
There is a lion & tiger safari which you can take a jeap around - unfortunately due to a man being eaten by the lions the night beofre this was closed when we were there! Do be sure to take your own supplies (eg plenty of water).

From inside the park it is also possible to catch a bus to visit the Kanheri Caves.

Take the train from Churchgate to Borivali which costs me 22p for 2 adults and 2 children (the only other thing I can think of that is this cheap is maybe a box of matches!). From Borivali take a rickshaw to the park. NB we couldn't understand our rickshaw drivers charades but what he was asking if we wanted him to stay with us and drive us around the park or whether he should simply dump us att he entrance. We said dump and run. After we had finished sweating our bodies around the park we thankfully found a rickshaw inside the park who took us back to the entrance before we collapsed in meltdown! Don't assume there will be rickshaws available for you though - the majority have passengers they are taking around!

There is a small entrance fee for the park.

Address: Borivali East
Phone: 02228860362
Website: http://www.sanjaygandhinationalpark.net

• Written Apr 27, 2010

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Mumbai?