"Fast boat to Siem Reap" Battambang Things to Do Tip by Willettsworld

Battambang Things to Do: 112 reviews and 382 photos

This, for me, was one of the highlights of my time in Cambodia and probably the main reason for coming to Battambang. Just to the north of the new bridge across the river are a cluster of moored boats. This is where the ferries to Siem Reap depart and is really a must-do thing as the journey is very scenic indeed. You'll pass by ramshackle stilt houses with young children waving at you from the river banks and boats on their way to school, Chinese cantilever fishing nets, floating villages and local people going about their daily lives on the river. The river flows into a lake called Tonle Sap before ending at the Chong Khmeas ferry dock about 10km south of Siem Reap. From here, you can take a tuk-tuk into Siem Reap itself.

The trip takes 3-7 hours depending on the weather, the water levels, how overloaded your boat is and the quality of the boat. They leave in the early morning around 7am and I bought a ticket from my hotel (the Star Hotel - see my accommodation tip) which cost $17 per person. I've taken some short video clips which you can find on my Battambang page, plus you can find more photos of the trip in my travelogues.

• Written Apr 25, 2010

“"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb”

Have you been to Battambang?