"From Medellín to El Peñon de Guatapé and Guatapé" Guatapé Transportation Tip by mircaskirca

Guatapé Transportation: 1 reviews and 2 photos

buseta from Guatapé to Medellín

buseta from Guatapé to Medellín
      my transportation from El Peñon de Guatapé
    by mircaskirca

One day I took a day trip to El Peñon de Guatapé (a giant rock formation) and then further to the charming town of Guatapé. Natalie from hostal Tamarindo suggested that I should leave early as it was the area with a lot to see and explore. Buses to Piedra del Peñol leave from Medellin's Terminal de Norte. There is a 15-20 minutes walk from the hostel to Poblado metro station. I took a metro to Caribe station which is connected to the bus terminal.

Sotrasanvicente bus company has regular service to El Peñon de Guatapé. The 1 hour and 45 minutes journey was 12.000 COP (December 2009). I got off the bus at a gas station and then it was an easy 20 minutes walk up the hill to the parking lot at the foot of the rock.

After climbing the rock I walked back to the main road and wanted to continue to Guatapé, when a fully restored oldtimer jeep stopped and offered to drive me to the town for 2.000 COP. I returned to Medellín in late afternoon. Busetas (minibuses) leave from the main square. The journey takes 2 hours. You have to buy the ticket in advance in Sotrasanvicente office on the square.

Mode: TO
Phone: +57 4 230 6637
Type: Bus

• Updated Sep 10, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Guatapé?