Cafe 28: "Lakeview-Cuban" Top 5 Page for this destination Cafe 28 Tip by Dabs

Cafe 28, Chicago: 3 reviews and 2 photos

I've had Cafe 28 on my to visit list for years since I read a VT tip on it, finally a Groupon inspired me to check it off the list. We made an early 6pm Saturday night reservation on Opentable as they are so busy that there are no reservations available later in the evening. The recent reviews on Yelp are overwhelmingly positive but I prefer Cafe Laguardia in Bucktown for Cuban. And I'm looking forward to trying La Unica, a storefront Cuban place on Devon that fellow VTer Dlandt recommends, and 90 Miles Cuban which gets rave reviews.

Favorite Dish: We started with an appetizer, Taste of Cuba ($7.95) with came with 3 empanadas de picadillo and 3 chicken & ham croquetas, I have had better empanadas recently at Cuatro and better croquetas at Cafe Iberico.

My favorite Cuban dish is ropa vieja (old clothes is the literal translation), flank steak in a garlic tomato & bell pepper sauce which came with white rice, black beans & fried plantains ($15.50). It was good, not the best I've had, nor the most tender. David had the Cuban roast pork ($15.50) slices of Cuban style roast pork with caramelized onions & mojo over top served with congri (beans & rice) & frituras de yuca. It's not a dish that thrilled me.

Our tab was $70 before tip including 3 drinks, 1 appetizer and 2 entrees. The prices here are a little higher due to it's location in Lakeview I assume.

Address: 1800 W. Irving Park
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Between Ashland and Damen, if you have a choice between Lake Shore Drive and 94(Kennedy) take LSD
Phone: (773) 528-2883
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?