"Best guide/Taxi/Friend!" Isla Margarita Favorite Tip by medyLA

Isla Margarita General: 13 reviews and 18 photos

Favorite thing: My cousin and I visited Isla Margarita in March 2010. We live in Los Angeles and although we could fly to the Mexican beaches in less than a few hours, we decided to be adventurous and go to a different place, where we have not gone before!

Venezuela was definitely different than the luxurious and service-oriented Mexican resorts, beaches and hotels. However, some Venezuelans are definitely not as service-oriented, do not like to speak English as much, but they do the best they can under the tough economic and political situation they deal with everyday. The Margarita Island is nice and semi romantic, the food is okay and the people are mostly nice.

After a few hurdles upon arrival (mainly the lay-over for 8 hours at the Caracas airport to catch a flight to Margarita and dealing with annoying money exchangers), when we reached Margarita Island we were lucky enough to meet a wonderful, educated, honest and friendly person who quickly became our friend.

He went above and beyond to help us, guide us, protect our interest and make sure that we have a great time and experience while there. He took us everywhere in his taxi and charged us very reasonable rates I would highly recommend visiting tourists to email or call him ahead of time and secure his time while there, since he is one of very few who speaks perfect English. To make a long story short, mainly because of him, we had a great time and made a good friend there. His name is Nestor, his number is 04121968400 and email is nestorlanzy@yahoo.com or carolagatty@yahoo.com.

Unfortunately our trip back ended on a bad note because of Conviasa airline's flight to Caracas being 3 hours late, forcing us to miss our international flight. I absolutely do not recommend taking Conviasa flights to the island, try Laser or others. They were so rude and did not even lift a finger to apologize, pay for our hotel or offer a coupon to pay the penalty Avianca was charging us for missing the flight and re-scheduling. Because of them, we had to get a $150 hotel room, pay $500 each penalty to Avianca and get back to L.A. via Bogotá, 1 day later, which screwed up my other flight to San Francisco, costing me another $230!!

I do not think that tourism is generally valued very much in Venezuela compared to Columbia, Dominican, Chile and of course Mexico and if I ever go back there, it would mainly be to visit the friend we found there, Nestor :-)

Fondest memory: Lucky enough to meet a wonderful local who guided us and showed us around:

• Written Apr 11, 2010

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Isla Margarita?