"Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Ives Things to Do Tip by Sjalen

Saint Ives Things to Do: 58 reviews and 125 photos

Sculpture garden
      Sculpture garden
      The studio inside
      The workshop
      The greenhouse
    by Sjalen
      All hiding inside these thick walls...
    by Sjalen

If Tate was a disappointment, Hepworth's house took us by complete surprise and I can honestly say that I had what can best be described as an almost religious experience in the tranquil gardens. We came first thing in the morning on a rainy day and were on our own for the first half hour and got a good feeling for what was Yorkshire born sculptress Hepworth's own home once she got to buy it after some years as an artist in St Ives. The garden is surrounded by thick stone walls and you can only hear the seagulls in the distance. The rest is just peace and quiet apart from neighbouring birds in trees and you can visit her old greenhouse and sit in an old chair and just soak up the atmosphere which is just what I did once I had seen the house itself which has a biographic exhibition on Hepworth downstairs and an indoor gallery with wooden sculptures and similar in what was her living room studio upstairs. Then I strolled around the garden to look at her huge sculptures as well as her guest house left just as it was when she lived here. The most moving thing was otherwise the workshop, also in the garden, where her coats and tools hung neatly and slabs of stone stood on the floor. Simple and marvellous. Our daughter happily modelled things with clay you could buy for children in an activity pack and she got so inspired she continued this when we got home. If this was not already a world class museum, I would give my right arm to be able to buy the wonderful house and garden as it speaks to you in a way few places do.
Visit it the same day as Tate Gallery if you intend to see both, as then you get a discount.

Address: Barnoon HIll, St Ives
Directions: At the town centre foot of Barnoon Hill not far from the lifeboat station.
Phone: +44(1736)362207
Website: http://www.tate.org.uk/stives/hepworth/

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Apr 7, 2010

Sjalen Visits Here Frequently!

“Use your brain - go by train”

Have you been to Saint Ives?