Willie's Bakery & Cafe: "Victoria's oldest bakery; fab breakfast" Victoria Restaurant Tip by Karlie85

Victoria Restaurants: 286 reviews and 322 photos

Willie's cafe - two of everything

Willie's cafe - two of everything
      Willie's cafe - French toast
      Willie's Bakery & Cafe
    by Karlie85

Willie's café and bakery is the oldest bakery in Victoria (1887), and also the home of a great little café. Dave and I went here on our last day in Victoria, a Sunday, for breakfast. The café was busy, but we only had to wait about 5 minutes for a table.

There are three sections to the café. The first section, when you walk in the door, has the bakery counter and some tables, the second section is an enclosed patio, and the third is an outdoor patio, which wasn't open. The first section is a little busier, a little more hustle-bustle, because there are people being served at tables and people walking up to the counter for take-away. We sat in the enclosed patio area, which was quieter and cozy.

Our server was a quite nice and upbeat young lady. One portion of the breakfast menu is only served until 11:30am (noon on the weekends) and another portion is served all day. There is quite a good selection, ranging from bacon and eggs and pancakes, to French toast, different kinds of eggs, and granola and yogurt. I ordered the "Two of Everything" , which included two eggs, two pancakes, two pieces of toast and meat (choice of two different kinds of sausage or bacon). I must say, the pancakes were the best pancakes I have ever had in my entire life. Anywhere. I am not exaggerating. I was finishing up writing some postcards at breakfast, and I literally wrote home about how delicious they were. Dave had the banana pecan French toast, which is banana loaf drizzled with pineapple and vanilla sauce and topped with banana slices. I had a few bites, and it was also absolutely scrumptious. All of the eggs Willie's uses are free run, and they were noticeably tastier than regular eggs.

We had a great experience at Willie's and would highly recommend it to anyone in Victoria.

Address: 537 Johnson Street
Theme: Breakfast
Website: http://www.williesbakery.com

• Written Mar 30, 2010

Comments

Have you been to Victoria?