"Classy and Central but..." Top 5 Page for this destination Mercure Southgate Exeter Tip by johngayton

Mercure Southgate Exeter, Exeter: 1,612 reviews and 5 photos

Hotel Entrance (And Car Park)
by johngayton
      Hotel Entrance (And Car Park)
      Comfortable Bed
      Empty Mini-Bar!
    by johngayton
      Tastefully Furnished (And Useful Workspace)
    by johngayton
      Naffest Ever View Tho' !!
    by johngayton

This is a good quality 4-star central hotel with all the standard facilites of a classy establishment. As to be expected room rates are generally at the high end of the market but for advance reservations (and also last-minute bookings) the non-refundable room-only price can be very reasonable.

The rooms themselves are spacious, well-furnished and spotlessly clean and service, whilst slightly formal, is friendly and helpful.

It may look a bit of a blockhouse from the outside but internally is quite lavish with tastefully individual decor and fittings and a welcoming roaring fire in the lobby on winter evenings.

However I do have a few little niggles.

As a late arrrival (about 11 pm), having pre-booked and paid, check-in was slow - just bad timing as there was a small group already checking-in and only the night-receptionist on duty. Then I had to fill in a form which required me to write down all the information that I'd already given when booking online. Only a minor hassle and the guy was friendly enough but one that at the end of a long day I could have done without.

As I've already said the room was fine but totally unheated - the heating seemingly only operating when the key card is put into the slot. Not something that I personally was too bothered about but definitely an oversight for a 4-star place. Then the curtain decided to self-destruct on me as I closed it, the plastic hooks departing company with the curtain rail.

Having sort of rehung it I did get it closed and so that wasn't too stressful but I reckoned a brandy from the mini-bar would make for an ideal nightcap, along with a coffee from the buckshee facilities. Only to find an EMPTY mini-bar. It seems the system is that you have to buy a mini-bar "package", which you order from room service. It seemed a bit pointless having a mini-bar in the first place if you have to use room service anyway??

Then I noticed the prices of eveything - the cheapest "mini-bar" option was a couple of small beers, along with a couple of items of confectionery for 11.00 - I gave that a miss. Also expensive are the breakfast (almost 17) and the internet connection (7 for 2 hours) and so I gave those a miss as well.

In its favour I did get a good night's sleep and the bed was as comfortable as any. My early morning call was exactly on time and the shower hot and powerful. Opening the curtains though, which once again popped out of their brackets, I got the naffest ever morning view- the ass-end of a car in the carpark almost parked on the window ledge - pic #5.

Unique Qualities: All-in-all the hotel was OK, reasonably cheap and for the required bed for the night acceptable.

I suppose if you make use of all the facilities, including what looks like an excellent leisure centre, and you get a room with a better view (the upper floor rooms do look out over the city) this would be a good choice, just be careful of the "extras" unless you're on expenses.

Address: Southernhay East, (formerly Macdonald Southgate Hotel), Exeter, Devon, EX1 1QF, United Kingdom
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: In the "Southern Quarter" of the city, a short walk from the Cathedral.
Phone: 01392 412812
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.mercure.com

• Updated Dec 4, 2010

johngayton Visits Here Frequently!

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Exeter?