"Kosher Bakers shop" Top 5 Page for this destination Food, wine and sweets Tip by suvanki

Food, wine and sweets, Venice: 16 reviews and 27 photos

Kosher Bakery Volpe Window Display

Kosher Bakery Volpe Window Display
      Bakery Volpe
      my bun

CANNAREGIO
VAPORETTO - GUGLIE
Wandering around the streets and campos of the Ghetto, I realised that I was feeling a bit hungry. The display in this bakers was very enticing. Inside it smelt wonderful! A mix of sweet and savoury scents.
I managed to restrict myself to the soft sweet bun in picture 3 and a savoury patty, which I wolfed down before I remembered to take a photo. My second experence of eating kosher food in less than 24 hours-I'd eaten at Gam Gam - Venices best known Kosher restaurant the evening before.

Apparently, although the food sold in this bakery is all certified as kosher, the owners aren't Jewish-so the shop will sometimes open at times that Jewish shops remain closed such as Shabbat (The Sabbath).

The food shops/restaurants have certificates on the wall showing that the Chief Rabbi has inspected the ingredients and preparation of the goods, and is satisfied that this is in accordance with the kosher standards and laws.

The Rabbi doesn't bless the food or equipment to 'make it kosher'.

My knowledge of kosher foods is very limited-I was aware that certain foods are forbidden such as pig - or any animal that isn't cloven hooved, or is cud chewing. Also that meat products and dairy are kept seperate. I found this
LINK for info on KOSHER/KASHRUT Dietery laws etc was quite an interesting introduction to Judaism

Some typical cakes made in here include "Orecchiette di Amman", which are filled with fruit, "Bisce", which are an S-shape. "Zuccherini" and "Sweet Azime" are donut shaped.

There were various types of breads, biscuits, cakes, savouries, cheeses, pizza, plus plenty of dry goods and drinks including kosher beers.

Opening hours: Sundays from 09.00 - 13.30pm, Mon-Fri from 07.30 -13.00 and 17.00- to 19.30 Closed on Saturday.

What to pay: I spent a couple of Euros

Address: Calle de Ghetto Vecchie, 1143 Cannaregio
Directions: Cannaregio Canal, near the foot of the bridge find Gam Gam restaurant. Pass through the narrow street at the side of the restaurant, head forward and you'll spot the bakery on the left side of the street
Phone: +39 041 715178.
Theme: Food and Drink

• Written Mar 29, 2010

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Venice?