"Centro de Estudios Avanzados" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Things to Do Tip by Jefie

San Juan Things to Do: 254 reviews and 596 photos

Centro de Estudios Avanzados in Old San Juan

Centro de Estudios Avanzados in Old San Juan
    by Jefie
      I fell in love with this library!
      Centro de Estudios Avanzados
      Inside the college's chapel
    by Jefie

I guess the Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Puerto Rico y El Caribe isn't really a tourist attraction, but if you happen to walk by this post-graduate college as you are exploring the streets of Old San Juan, I'd recommend taking a quick look inside. The Centro de Estudios Avanzados offers some Master's and Doctoral programs specialized in Puerto Rican and Caribbean arts, literature and philosophy. When we walked into the beautiful main courtyard, a lady informed us that we were in fact in a university and she invited us to tour around the building on our own. We visited its library, chapel and some of its classroom, and it definitely made me wish I could have studied in such an amazing setting! The college itself dates back to 1832, and many prominent citizens have been educated there throughout the years, including the poet and playwright Alejandro Tapia y Rivera, also known as the father of Puerto Rican literature.

Address: 52 calle del Cristo
Directions: Old San Juan
othercontact: centro@ceaprc.org
Phone: 787-723-4481, Ext. 26
Website: http://www.ceaprc.org

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 13, 2010

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Have you been to San Juan?