"Y Garreg Fawr Farmhouse" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Fagans Things to Do Tip by Balam
Saint Fagans Things to Do: 49 reviews and 169 photos
Y Garreg Fawr is another example like Kennixton and Abernodwydd of the kind of two storeyed house that replace the type of house that was common in the middle ages. it was built in 1544 in Waunfawr, Gwynedd and was named Y Garreg Fawr (The Big Rock) after a rocky outcrop that was behind the house. It would have been the home of a wealthy farmer.
It is solidly built of large pieces of slate stone and mountain boulders with it's slated roof supported on two pairs of stout oak trusses. The windows were not glazed so to stop the cold mountain wind Oak Board Shutters were fitted to the windows.
It has tall chimneys which were a great status symbol in the 16th century as most houses had a fire in the middle of the floor and the house would be full of smoke as there would have been no chimney.
Address: Number 33 on the map