Veerasway: "West Loop-Indian food-CLOSED" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Restaurant Tip by Dabs

Chicago Restaurants: 1,404 reviews and 1,871 photos

Read that this restaurant had closed in 2011

Most of Chicago's Indian restaurants are way up on the northside on Devon Avenue, almost in Evanston, and a little difficult for most visitors to get to so I was eager to try Veerasway which opened in the Randolph Street restaurant district in the west loop just a short distance away from downtown where most visitors stay. Unfortunately I found it lacking it a couple of respects, the service was very slow and the price well above what you'd pay normally for Indian food. When our dinner came out well after we ordered it, with a long break between the appetizers and entrees, the host came over and said they would comp us a drink for the inconvenience. Great, except that he never came back to take the drink order!

The space itself is cozy, the tables are pretty close together but not uncomfortably so. It was very busy on a Friday night which might explain partially the slowness of the kitchen but as it's not a big space, they should be able to accomodate diners and not have such lags between courses.

Favorite Dish: The one thing that can always save uneven service and even high price tags is if the food is great. Unfortunately none of the food compared favorably with the food you can get on Devon. I don't know that Veerasway is trying to compete with the authentic places on Devon but they haven't done anything better. My samosa $(2.75) had so much heat that I couldn't finish it, my husband's was tamer. The naan bread was good but really it's hard to screw up naan bread. The chicken tikka masala ($15.75) was good but I've had better at any place I've tried on Devon Avenue and the portion size small for the price. My husband tried the tamarind-date chicken kabobs ($15.75), I thought the flavor was good but once again the portion small for the price. He thought it was too salty.

Address: 844 West Randolph Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: 312-491-0844
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Indian
Website: http://www.veerasway.com/

• Updated Oct 9, 2011

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?