Icelandic Fish & chips: "An organic fish restaurant." Top 5 Page for this destination ReykjavÝk Restaurant Tip by Regina1965

ReykjavÝk Restaurants: 180 reviews and 436 photos

Cod in batter in a bed of salad.
by Regina1965
      Cod in batter in a bed of salad.
      Skyronnes (low in fat)
      Inside the restaurant.
      Inside the restaurant.
    by Regina1965
      Icelandic fish & chips restaurant.
    by Regina1965

I went with a VT-member to this restaurant as we were searching for a fish restaurant. The one we had decided on didn't serve dinner before 18h and we were there 1,5 hours too early. So we looked for restaurants by the harbour and stumbled upon Icelandic fish & chips.

Icelandic fish & chips is an organic restaurant, and yes, I know, that is not the first thing you think about judging by the name of the restaurant. What they had on their menu was cod, langoustine and wolf fish, but the fish types vary from day to day. My VT-friend decided on the fried cod. It came deep-fried in a very crips batter with crispy potatoes on a bed of green salad and the low-fat Tzatziki skyronnes (made from the Icelandic skyr). It was excellent, she said. The batter was made from spelt and barley. So this is quite a health-oriented restaurant.

They don't sell ordinary soda pop but their own soda with freshly squeezed fruit, agave syrup and sparkling water. Not knowing what kind of a restaurant this was, as we were only looking for a fish restaurant, I asked for Coke. The young waitress just rolled her eyes, which I found to be so rude and undeserving, especially since I have been a vegan for 24 years. And she didn't even offer me the variety they sell, which I would have bought instead, I just saw on the menu what kind of drinks they offer. Just because of that holier-than-thou attitude I wouldn't visit this place again.

It had a bistro feel to it and they advertise themselves as an organic bistro. So if you are looking for something cosy this isn't it. We wanted to have dessert at a more cosy place so we went to Geysir restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Skyronnes dips are a new kind of fat-free dips made out of the Icelandic skyr. They resemble mayonnaise dips and come with a variety of flavours.

Address: Tryggvagata 8, 101 ReykjavÝk
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Tryggvagata is just above the harbour, walk a 100 meters west of Kolaporti­ flea-market and the restaurant is on your left hand side.
Phone: 5111118
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Feb 1, 2011

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2016 at 4:57 AM

i had a wonderful meal there and found the staff very friendly. The chef even came out and asked how my meal was

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      May 17, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Good to hear, I think they must have done some changes as my mother went there a couple of weeks ago and she was happy with her experience.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Very rude! I wouldn't return either!

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to ReykjavÝk?