"Mother Temple (People ask for money)" Bali Things to Do Tip by funggarybar

Bali Things to Do: 1,246 reviews and 2,493 photos

Mother Temple is supposed to be the most famous one in Bali. I visited the temple on my own. After paying for entrance ticket and checked by the authority, There remains numerous opportunities for the local trying to get money from your pocket. I experienced being pressed to hire a local guide. I did not think the so-called guides are qualified and I refused. (I even believe that the guides are linked with the authority who was responsible to check my entrance ticket). After my refusal to hire a guide, even with paid entrance ticket at hands, I was not allowed to enter into the main area. I was confined to be in the garden surrounding the temple. That time there were about 20-30 visitors. We were surrounded by almost 50 guides. The so-called tour guides closed the door to forbid my entrance. Seconds after my departure for tens of feet, the same door was opened again. Within 20 minutes, More than tens times I was approached by guides for his job opportunities. There was a foreign couple with strong bodies refusing to hire guides argued with the guides and then entered with very limited force. For their body sizes,They were successful and the guides immediately shut the mouths and neglected them. But for me slim asian, I was surrounded by 4-5 guides who prevented my going ahead. Too bad. I failed even the foreign couple inside the temple main area was meters away from me .
Whether you will concede to make payment is your choice. I guess they are illegal but they are powerful and being "authorised" by the authority. Is it corruption? I don't know.

Address: North East Bali
Directions: Taxi driver knows the way.

• Updated Feb 4, 2010