"Let the nightmare begin" Lake Pedder Off The Beaten Path Tip by iandsmith

Lake Pedder Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 1 photos

I was gobsmacked. I looked over the edge and saw this stunning apparition; an apparition called Lake Judd. Its setting was grand, almost entirely surrounded by cliffs and a narrow band of sheer dolerite; it beckoned me to tarry and I did.
That image haunted me for over a year. I found out there was a track leading into it and made plans to return. How I looked forward to it.
Then I managed the plane flight over it and that made it even more exciting; I could see the path to the promised land.
So it was that just a few days later I parked at the entry point, alongside 4 other vehicles of multi-day walkers. The weather was overcast but there were two or three minor gaps of blue starting to appear so I surmised that the weather would improve during the day and started out after signing the book indicating where you are planning to go.
The track was narrower than I?d envisaged and, after crossing the Red Tape Creek where there was a neat one-man-only swinging bridge, the trail headed uphill and, after half an hour my body was sweating though my hands were nearly numb. The nearly continual winds from the south and west don?t carry any warmth with them around here.
I looked across to Mount Anne, highest peak in the southwest. Its bare jagged ramparts were shrouded in mist that constantly cloaked the summit with fingers of gossamer drooping from the cloud belt.
I moved on to the boardwalks. Thank goodness for them I was thinking, this was a really boggy area. I pushed on for another 20 minutes and then the boardwalks ended. I came across a small bog, then another. In fact, they became quite repetitious, quite difficult for walking as I alternatively straddled, jumped sideways, took other short looping routes and even looked to make new ones on occasions.
Then the bogs stopped. Indeed, it became one continuous bog. The track was in appalling state and the weather started closing in as if to bring the wrath of God upon me. What had I done to deserve this?

• Written Jan 28, 2010

More Off The Beaten Path in Lake Pedder (2)