"Don't let them get away with it." Laos Warnings Or Dangers Tip by planxty

Laos Warnings and Dangers: 53 reviews and 33 photos

Sign, Phonsavanh, Lao.
by planxty

I was not quite sure what category to place this tip in but I thought it best fitted here.

This is a tip about a very distasteful subject but I am of the opinion that burying your head in the sand will not make it go away. I have mentioned elsewhere on VT that Lao is the 23rd most impoverished country in the world and, inevitably, poverty brings exploitation, including the foul sexual exploitation of children. I have witnessed it in neighbouring Cambodia, and in India where I made the probably stupid move of showing a pimp the error of his ways, but never in Lao, although I have read that it undeniably goes on.

Fortunately, some people seem to be making an effort against this pernicious trade in human misery and there are numerous stickers around Phonsavanh urging you to 'phone the number shown should you have any suspicions about child sex tourists. Oddly, this is the only place in Lao I have seen them, so I don't know if it is a local initiative or not but I would think a call to the relevant number about anywhere in the country should bring about the desired result.

It seems almost fatuous to post this tip as I am sure 99.99% of VT members are right thinking people and properly abhor this abuse but, should you see something untoward on your travels, I urge you to give them a call. You might just give a child back their childhood.

Phone: +00 856 (0)21 251128

• Written Jan 26, 2010

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”