"THE GREY CROWNED CRANE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
The Grey Crowned Crane is the national bird of Uganda and is found across Eastern Africa (Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and Kenya). These magnificent birds are very curious and will let you get very close. I have seen them at distances close enough to touch them in 3 countries. They and their close cousins, the Black Crowned Crane, are the only cranes which can roost in trees. They have a long hind toe which allows them to hold and climb tree branches.
They grow to be about 1 m (3.3 ft) tall and weigh up to 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs). Females lay between 2-5 eggs and both sexes look after incubation taking 28-31 days. Their chicks leave home at around 56 to 100 days.
The most amazing part of their plumage is the stiff crown of spiky golden coloured feathers. Don?t try and figure out which is male or female as they look very much the same. When breeding there is a full dancing display apparently. They were behaving themselves wherever I have seen them.
Believe it or not they are more or less carnivores. They like insects and anything living they can swallow.
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels